Hello Claude,
Thank you for showing your interest.

As per my thoughts, to build ALC, it is not necessary to have committers in
the area (if they are present, it will be good).
If you are *willing* to spread the awareness about ASF, The Apache Way, and
various Apache's projects in local students, developers, and the business
community, it's sufficient.
As you mentioned, you know the community of OS developers, if we share the
details on Apache with them, gradually the interested people will join and
community will be built.
Definitely, the process of building a community will take time, and the
good thing is we are not in a hurry ;-)

Also, as the ALC concept gets popular, the committers of the respective
area will automatically get to know about their local ALC and I am sure
they will be happy to help and join.

As I mentioned,

as a community, we can work details of defining roles and responsibility of
ALC, the process of forming ALC chapters, how the ALC chapters will
function (community manager/lead of ALC chapters), etc.

The nearby Apache people can be found here [1], and Apache Committers map
[2] can also help, but I think, it is not up to date.

Hope these details will help you, I am excited to work together :)

[1] http://community.zones.apache.org/
[2] http://community.zones.apache.org/map.html

Best Regards,
Swapnil M Mane