On 3/26/20 10:04 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 1:54 PM Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
...The problem of "Some who wanted to update didn't know how"
is pretty much universal, because we don't have an effective way to
communicate this to all projects...

I think having information or a link to that information at
https://projects.apache.org/ on how to update would fix that.

There's https://projects.apache.org/about.html but it could be
improved in terms of what we expect from projects and how they can do
that.

I'm going to pick a few projects and go through the process myself, and document my findings/frustrations. I would encourage a few of you to do the same with projects you are interested in.

Related, distributed data doesn't work at the ASF, imho. Having each project have their own unique location for this data, combined with having it in svn (while an increasing number of our projects don't speak svn any more), is a recipe for data rot.

Daniel patched the system a while back to consolidate/centralize that data, and was vetoed/reverted for reasons that are unclear to me. Having this data centralized would, I think, increase the chances that we'd actually keep it updated.

--
Rich Bowen - rbo...@rcbowen.com
http://rcbowen.com/