Hi All,

My 2 cents on the matter, we have an application (Apache Hop) that is
mainly used by non developers so most of our questions are not of a
technical nature but more general hand-holding and troubleshooting. Though
it should be possible to do this via email you end up with a tread of 20
mails back and forth "have you tried pressing x, and what variables have
you used,...."
These types of conversations are best handled synchronously so we were
looking at the ASF slack at first.
Our feeling was that the threshold to enter the ASF slack was too high. You
either need an invite which is a single channel user or you need to be a
committer and we would be excluding Chinese users as slack is blocked there.

Therefore we set up our own Mattermost server which is an open source slack
alternative with no user limitations when managing your own infrastructure.

Though some development stuff is also discussed there we then point to the
developers list or add a summary there for further discussion.

Cheers,
Hans