On 2/22/22 17:30, Jim Jagielski wrote:

On Feb 22, 2022, at 10:41 AM, Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

  Very consistently, at least at Red Hat, the white men over 30 agree with my
perspective and EVERYONE ELSE thinks that more synchronous discussion venues
are preferable.

Maybe because the current generation never needed to worry about the effects of
synchronous communication over geographical diverse ares, because
most/many/"all" of the people they collaborate with are in very similar time
zones. Or maybe its because they are always online.

Let's recall that IRC was a thing the same time that Email was. Heck, back then we had
IRC, email and NNTP, so it's not like we lacked for communication alternatives. Email
didn't "win" because it was all we had, but because it was the best suited for
the requirements we based things around: ease of archival, ease of threading, and async
friendly. I'll be honest, if NNTP was not such a pain to install and maintain, I bet that
would have given Email a run for its money.

IMO, baselining a primary communication system that requires either everyone be
in the same timezone, approximately, or that everyone be online at all hours,
screams privilege to me. There are huge sets of populations that don't enjoy
the luxury of having high-bandwidth smart devices with them 24x7 in order to
engage w/ open source projects. Basically, by doing so, you self-select an
extremely privileged group and disenfranchise the other 90-95%.

Yes, I think that this is correct. And not only does it disenfranchise those outside of the timezone, it also deprives oneself of their company - ie, it makes *everyone* poorer, and creates an echo chamber.

I think it also leads to a lot of reinventing/renegotiating/relegislating, because there's no record to go back to. That, coupled with a desire to always be on the newest, shiniest thing, leads to a lot of wasted, duplicated effort.

But, of course, when I was younger I also thought I didn't need to defer to the wisdom of experience, so maybe this really is just a generational thing, which each generation needs to learn over. I honestly don't know. It just seems like a valuable thing to investigate.