Hi, all.

We have a very long thread on the possibility of changing the name of our
foundation, and the complex work involved. I may have missed it in the
back-and-forth, but is there not another way forward?

What if we established an offering of value to members of the Apache Nation
(defined by the eight tribes) that attaches a benefit to the existing
perceived connection between our use of the word "Apache" and theirs? Such
a package could start small, but grow toward something that is much more
useful than the "one peppercorn per annum" which is the legal term in
England to describe  a nominal rent.

The package could begin with elements that we already have in our hands
made available to members of the Apache Nation:

  - travel assistance to attend ApacheCon
  - advanced access to the Google Summer of Code
  - assistance within our realms of expertise with technical infrastructure
or code-development issues the Apache Nation faces

On such a basis we could solicit additional "goods" to grow the package:

  - a scholarship fund to enable study in software development
  - internships with corporations that are ASF sponsors

Others among you will have much better ideas than those I have just tossed
into the ring. Please suggest them.

This approach makes a positive out of what some perceive as a negative, as
we grow a coincidental relationship into one of real value to the people of
the Apache Nation.

Andrew Wetmore

Editor, Moose House Publications <https://moosehousepress.com/>
Editor-Writer, The Apache Software Foundation <https://apache.org/>