On 2022-05-11 at 14:56:13 UTC-0400 (Wed, 11 May 2022 14:56:13 -0400)
me <dev@community.apache.org>
is rumored to have said:

The scenario w/ Jeep is the most synonymous to Apache. (We are named for a tribe, rather than a synonymous term or epithet). I’m side stepping the logo for the moment.

The last words I could find on the subject (w/ a brief scan) were March of 2021

- Chief Hoskins of the Cherokee Nation did request a name change from Jeep.
- Jeep opened up talks, but they didn’t comply.

Back in the mists of time I worked for Chrysler (then parent of Jeep) and there was briefly a kerfuffle over Jeep's "Cherokee" appropriation, as it is an issue that comes up episodically and never is resolved. I did not follow the public statements at the time, but the phrase that stuck with me from internal communications was "pound sand." I'm a bit surprised that they engaged further more recently, but times do change.

I absolutely do not think ASF should replicate that stance.

--
Bill Cole