Happy to help.  Along with mentoring in Google Summer of Code, I've led
workshops in a number of capacities and conferences/venues/countries ( Beam
Summit, HOPE <https://hope.net/>, etc ) on helping people get their first
code contribution into a[n apache :-) ] project, outlining general paths
for contributing, and community overall.  Though concretely getting a PR
created and merged is very straightforward, I also try to highlight the
many ways to contribute that are not code.  Interacting people right as
they are addressing could prove useful and yield interesting stories, and
there are ways to cast a net to find people that might want to opt into the
initiative for sharing about their first contribution that is much 'lower
touch'.

To the specifics of publicizing/amplifying what is already happening:  for
GitHub based projects, there are very low effort ways to let first-time-PR
contributors know to opt-in/contact marketing.  For example, see:
https://github.com/behaviorbot/first-pr-merge ...  and specifically: '
firstPRMergeComment'.  It would potentially be easy for any project to add
that, along with a message to contact
ComDev/P&M/specific-contact-information?  The thought is that would help
grow our communities?  Should we get a general recipe together for projects
can add this to their repos ( in that case, where to point
first-time-contributors, a specific email/other?) ?  Then, potentially just
a matter of getting potentially interested PMCs to add to their repos.

My only concern would be ensuring that this gets updated/removed from
repos, once no longer an initiative from p&m.  Said another way, if asking
new contributors to contact someone, we need those people to be responsive,
else it needs to be updated/removed.