On Tue, 5 Sept 2023 at 16:28, <rbo...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2023-09-05 at 17:11 +0200, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> > I think a lot of DOAP files may be out of date as well. At least for
> > Wicket
> > we have moved our site SCM from svn to git a long time ago, but
> > didn't
> > realise that project.a.o needed updating.
> >
> > Suffice to say, Wicket has had several (major and minor) releases
> > since
> > 2015-02-02...
>
> Hmm. Isn't that information available somewhere else, without having to
> manually update a file?
>
> But, yeah, this is a great point. Thanks for mentioning it.

The DOAP syntax allows for a lot of data that is better stored elsewhere.

The bits that are unique to the DOAP are less likely to change, for example:
- pmc
- short and long description
- language(s)
- category(ies)
- homepage
- standard(s) if any

I think these are the most important from the point of view of showing
the range of projects at the ASF and enabling people to find a project
that suits their interests and skills.

I doubt it will ever be possible to ensure that fields like releases
are kept up to date.
It should be possible to get an idea of releases from the distribution
repo (though the file naming can make that a bit of a challenge!)

Likewise the SVM and download URLs should be readily available from
the homepage.