On 2/14/24 21:33, Rich Bowen wrote:
On Feb 14, 2024, at 2:46 PM, Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:

I guess I am too late here, but fwiw, I agree strongly with Rich's
comment.  I would much rather see the checklisty stuff incorporated into
either the use cases or the main doc somewhere and not presented as "things
'we' are looking for".  I do not like at all the statement in the intro to
the new doc,
"However, having an idea of what red flags we're looking for
in a project can be a helpful way to start looking for places to mentor,
and sharpen, our projects."

You are definitely not too late here, and I would certainly hope that nobody
feels that I have any more say than anybody else in what we do here. I
instigated. I am not the leader. Please own the document, and edit it in
whatever way you see fit.

That is absolutely the wrong message to give.  Who is "we"?   This kind of
thing sets the tone of the working group as some kind of external policing
/ inspecting function.  That will not help.

Yes, that is indeed my concern.

My two cents: Put some emphasis on this being about building and strengthening communities, rather than compliance.

What *will help* is people showing up, listening and coming up with useful
suggestions for how to solve problems that communities are facing.  In some
cases, that may actually mean helping them explain why their way of doing
things is perfectly fine.  I was shocked, for example, by "too many release
candidates"  on the list of "red flags."   That is ridiculous, IMO, and
nobody's business but the community.  A sharpener certainly might help
share experience about how other projects have handled packaging, testing
and deployment issues, but just jumping in because a few releases have
burned through a few RC numbers makes zero sense.

Please do take that document as a 0.001 version, and edit/update/delete it as
you see fit. We are in the “what if” phase here.