Hi,

On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 1:21 PM Claude Warren <cla...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Renaming the conference to "The ASFConference" or "ASFCon" would
> go a long way to mitigating this problem...

I agree that the current name is not good, but would also like to get
rid of the "con" suffix which means "idiot", or worse, in French. I
suggest "ASF Tech" or "ASF Tech & Community", but Naming Is Hard
anyway.

> ...The positioning is an issue...

It's always been like that, because our communities are all over the
place in terms of technology and tech culture. Which is not a problem
otherwise.

One thing that I hear repeatedly is that many of us get the most value
from the "hallways conference", meeting our peers in person,
spontaneously cross-pollinating ideas [1], etc.

How to "sell" that so people get a travel budget to attend, I don't
know. But for me that's the real value of the conference, and I think
the ASF as a whole gets a lot of value out of that.

The "ASF Hallways Conference" would be a surprising name indeed ;-)

-Bertrand

[1] For those who were part of the Maven chat in the Széchenyi baths a
few years ago, that's a fantastic example!