Isabel,

Sorry for the long radio silence but life has been hectic recently.

The Big Data Compute, API & Microservices etc. that were seen in CoC
Bratislava are examples of the cross project track idea.  They were very
well attended and had lots of submissions.  There were other tracks that
were specific to single projects and several of them struggled.

The SF conferences that I have been involved in do rely heavily on
volunteers.  The ASF has several people with extensive experience running
conferences but there is still a need for more to make the conference run
smoothly.  I don't know of a volunteer run conference that is not looking
for volunteers.  However, I also know of a fair number of conventions that
run smoothly using all volunteer staff.  I think the main difference is
that at MileHiCon the "dealers room" (and the art show) allow sales of
merchandise.  I truly believe that a conference focused on
developers/architects and the information that is valuable in the cross
project space would be a draw for a number of small to medium businesses
that want to sell to that population.  Making a public space where those
vendors can sell to the conference attendees as well as the non-attending
public would make tables for a few hundred $/£/€ desirable and within reach.

This doesn't mean forgoing major sponsorship, but it does mean that if
major sponsorship is not forthcoming the conference can proceed without as
significant a loss, and perhaps breaking even.

I hope this provides some answers.  Let me know if you have any questions,
Claude