I have always had a vision that the build step for cordova.js would make it
into the app build step.

Currently the packager has most of the functionality to bundle in plugins /
platform specific code / core modules.

With a little bit of work it could be made to be driven off of the plugin's
folder for 3rd party code and the manifest for core modules.