The spec defines a version attribute on the <widget> tag. It wouldn't be
hard to include and parse that, though I think it would be pretty
heavyweight for an app to XHR the config.xml, parse the XML (shudder) and
grab that value, rather than encoding it in its own JS somewhere, but I
guess that's up to the app developer.

I'll assign that bug to myself and take a look at it later.