I meant to send an email about this last night. Here's the (high-level)
process we'll need to follow for each of the repos.

Step 0: This time only, delete the 'next' branch. We're not using them
anymore, and they'll just add confusion.
Step 1: Checkout and pull master.
Step 2: git checkout -b 2.6.x (now you're on the new branch 2.6.x)
Step 3: tag 2.6.0.rc1 (on the 2.6.x branch)
Step 4: Push the branch and tag.

NB: The branch is for the minor revision (ie. 2.6.x) not the point release
(2.6.0). The branch will have tags called 2.6.0rc1, 2.6.0rc2, etc. and then
2.6.0. Any 2.6.1 that we do will be on this 2.6.x branch as well, just
adding more tags.

Remember that commits always land in master first. Regression fixes should
be cherry-picked to 2.6.x after being committed to master.

Braden