I generally prefer json whenever possible as well, so if its feasible to
change I'de give that a +1, but I'm not sure how many plugins out there
already use the manifest based structure.

As far as creating a second manifest just to register with a universe, this
isn't unheard of may have benefits, but its yet another barrier for entry
for 3rdparty plugin devs.  It would be really awesome if sharing plugins
with the world were as simple as providing a git repo+tag+directory.  I'm
not sure I buy the versioning argument, whatever structure we come up with
for version dependancies will have the same likelihood of changing over
time no matter which file we put it in.

-Michal