+1 to templates and a plugin creation command.

I don't like the idea of the friction to switch to JSON - a big change to
both tools and to our existing plugins - but I despise XML with the fury of
a thousand suns. I would be happy to make the switch to JSON, for my
plugins and in both tools.
+1 to migrating to plugin.json (but keeping config.xml, that's too
entrenched now).

Braden