In terms of the git notification emails, merge or rebase, doesn't matter.
Each commit that is being merged in in the case of a merge, or reapplied
in the case of a rebase, will be sent as a notification. So we lose either
way. Woot.

In the case of rebase vs merge in terms of workflow, merge drops all
commits that are coming in from a branch as a single diff and applies them
in one go to the top of the branch you are merging into. Handling
conflicts at this point can be overwhelming if you are dealing with
conflicts from potentially multiple commits.

With rebase, you are essentially "grafting" your branch to the end of the
branch you are rebasing. Each of your branch's commits are reapplied one
at a time to the end of the rebase branch. If a conflict happens at any
point during application of your branch's commits, one at a time, the
rebase stops, and you have to resolve the conflicts. This can be easier in
the sense that you have to just deal with one commit's changes at a time.
The downside is if your branch has diverged drastically, you will probably
be dealing with these conflicts on every commit, which can be time
consuming and long.

My go-to is usually rebase, as I have a better idea of how my changes
modify the codebase. That said, there are times to use merge as well.