With all the use of "merge" and "rebase" here I wasn't 100% clear what we
were advising.  After some discussion, I think the consensus is that:

1. Rebase your branch with master (this changes only your branch, so that
you apply work on top of most recent master commits)
1b. Rebase your branch with itself with -i to squash commits (to merge work
into single atomic commits)
2. merge --ff-only your feature on top of master now
3. push

Right?

I think saying "I prefer rebase" isn't helping git noobs figure out what to
rebase and that you still need a merge at the end, etc.

As Andrew said, we already advice to do this on the wiki, lets stick with
it.

-Michal