The primary benefit I see in moving to node based scripts is quality: it's
a lot easier to write and maintain complex scripts with good tests in js
than it is in bash. Even with the reliance on exiting command line tools
like adb.

It also makes contributing to the scripting side far less intimidating. A
Contributors may feel much more comfortable diving into a js node script
than a shell script.