Changes should sneak into dev, not master. Unless someone else messed
something up, there shouldn't be any conflicts on master.

I see what you're saying though. Sneaking a change into dev while you're
testing would mess you up a bit.

One option is to push after incrementing the version and writing the
changelog, that way subsequent changes will happen after your merge point
just fine. It means that you'll have a non-dev version on master for a bit,
but I think that's fine. Small window.