On Thu Nov 14 01:44 PM, Andrew Grieve wrote:
> I'm going to attempt to summarize in point form:
>
> Goal:
>  - Make available the list of installed plugins and their versions to native
> side & JS
> side.
>  - Needed by App Harness to know whether an app is compatible with its
> bundled set of plugins.
>
> Using cordova_plugins.js:
>  - It doesn't have the information that we need
>  - We could add the extra information, but not easily since the file exports
> an
> array instead of an object.
>  - This file is not currently parsed by the native layer, so having the info
> here
> would be an extra IO on start-up.

Great summary :)

Is it difficult to rename ' cordova_plugins.js' to something more broad
'cordova_meta.js', ' cordova_loader.js', 'cordova_boot.js' and using an object?
Since it's generated code, first impression is there's no BC issue other than
doing another prepare.

Doesn't seem like there's a way to avoid the extra IO on the native side (e.g.
cordova_meta.js). If the detailed list of installed plugins is in xml, how will
the JS side access it?

Broader problem is there's no single cordova meta file that's shared between
native & js. Considering that on some platforms, there's only JavaScript,
putting the information in JSON seems like a good move.