On 25 February 2014 21:47, Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Some tips, since I found this a pain to figure out.  To verify the sha file
> matches:
>
>> gpg --print-md SHA512 *.zip | diff - *.sha && echo "Exact match"
>> gpg --print-md MD5 *.zip | diff - *.md5 && echo "Exact match"
>
> Oddly the output of gpg is different than that of sha512sum and md5sum so
> you cannot use those commands to --check the sums, ugh.  (We should
> consider changing the way we generate those files, no?).
>
> I'm still trying to figure out how to make sure the zip is signed
> correctly, but am having issues setting up my KEYS.
>
> All-in-all I don't think this is that useful of a process to do, since to
> be really confident you would have to create the full release zip from
> scratch from source control yourself and compare *that* to the hosted zip
> to make sure we releasing what you think we are (as is we are just
> verifying the download isn't corrupt).  But I wanted to go through the
> process.

I thought the idea was to compare the released zip with the source repo?
i.e. unpack the release, and compare it with the contents of the tags
in the repo.

If all the files in the release zip have exact matches in a repo tag,
then the release zip must be OK .

If any zip files are missing from the repo, then this is a potential
problem from the point of view of whether the file is suitably
licensed.

If repo files are missing from the zip, then perhaps there was an
error creating the release.
For a past release, that is not an issue - but of course it may be
necessary to fix the process for the future.