After sleeping on it, I think if you're going to introduce package.json and
local installs of cli & platforms, and require node scripts to manage
environment, you really may as well go the last mile and replace use of the
global CLI installation with grunt/gulp plugins.  (that sounds interesting,
but I do not know who would be willing & able to do it.)

In the mean time, the existing CLI is already solving all the use cases
pointed out in this thread, and I'm not aware of it being a problem.

-Michal