WRT plugins not being tied to a version of the platforms… We at SpiderOak have
a project that is still stuck at 3.0.0 for precisely that reason.

As for the CLI not being tied to a platform version, that’s also not true.
Don’t know if you have tried it, but using a current version of the CLI with a
project created and “platformed” with a previous version is also a recipe for
disaster.