On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Things I think are good ideas:
> - platforms providing an index.js that node can consume. If project scripts
> are not in node, then they can just subshell (or port to node).
> - making it easier to consume CLI from grunt / whatever
> - enabling users to do their own fetching rather than CLI doing the
> fetching (e.g. via node_modules or via .zip on dist/ or via github)
>
> Things I think are bad ideas:
> - start enforcing that Cordova projects are node projects
> - requiring a tools release every time any of the platforms want to do a
> release
> - changing the Cordova workflow in a major way so soon after 3.0

It's been almost a year since Cordova 3.0 has been released.  Just
because we haven't shipped doesn't mean that time has not passed.

> re: Having different versions of platforms and plugins is a recipe for
> disaster
>
> Platforms are already versioned separately. They will be released
> separately in the near future (or at least that's what we're working
> towards). If you don't agree with this, then we should step back and debate
> this first.

AFAIK, no platform has released a version past 3.5 so far.  I honestly
don't know if versioning the platforms separately is going to help our
users at all, because we haven't released anything since 3.5.  I
actually think it's going to make people's lives worse since we'll
have disparate platforms.  I do think we should debate this, since
this point has bogged down our release process almost as much as "The
Apache Way" has.

> Plugins are x-platform, but the native code for each platform has almost
> zero overlap. It therefore makes sense to want to specify their
> dependencies separately. E.g.:
>
>     <engines>
>       <engine name="cordova-android" version=">=4.0.0" />
>       <engine name="cordova-ios" version=">=3.2.0" />
>     </engines>
>
> For example, we'll need to bump many of the requirements to support
> cordova-android@4.0, but they will still work fine with cordova-* at older
> versions. If a project is ios-only, we don't want to force them to update
> to a new version of iOS just because the plugin requires a newer version of
> cordova-android.

This is going to create dependency hell.  People already have weird
ideas of what versions of Cordova they should use because of their gut
feeling, or their experience with random plugin X.  We want people to
upgrade to the latest so that they're relatively secure, and this will
do the opposite of making it so that people rely on possibly
vulnerable versions of Cordova because some third-party plugin guy
wants to bind the version to something broken.

> Not sure what you mean by different versions of plugins. One of the design
> goals of plugins was that you can stick to an old version if you'd like.
>
> re my "all talk" comment:
>
> Sorry for being snarky here. We often do have discussions that end up with
> agreement but no on willing to do the work. I am genuinely interested if
> you're discussing this because it's a neat idea, or doing so because you
> intend to implement some of these ideas.

If nobody is willing to do the work, it probably wasn't a good idea,
or not as important as the list made it sound.