Hey Chuck, thanks for joining the conversation! Great to have all
stakeholders taking part.

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:40 PM, Chuck Lantz <cla...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hey folks, I'm on the Visual Studio team.  I think my primary concern here
> comes more from what we expect developers to understand and the loss of
> predictability.  If you go to the Cordova documentation and see "Cordova
> 3.5.0", and then grab the CLI, that comes with a certain set of
> assumptions.  A Cordova version is very much a "thing" right now even if
> the pieces and parts underneath are much more independent.  So, as a
> developer, my frame of reference when I go and grab Cordova tools and add
> 3.5.0, I get 3.5.0 for each platform I add.  If I then go create another
> project, I'd expect to get the exact same thing - bugs and all.  If we lose
> that as an anchor concept, I think we'll quickly loose developers new to
> the ecosystem.  (Note that from a pure VS perspective, we could layer a
> concept on top to solve this if required as Andrew pointed out.)

I completely agree that by dropping the idea of a Cadence Version, that we
do lose a nicety. The question in my mind is whether the advantages make it
worth it.

For docs, it's easy enough to stop generating "versioned" docs, and just be
sure to keep them up to date with "Added in Android 4.0", "Removed in iOS
3.6" kind of messages.

> Now, even pinning to 3.5 and ignoring ".0" has issues since platforms can
> version independently and likely with little notice from a developer
> standpoint.  Even if a platform update just fixes a bug, it hurts
> predictability.  Devs will end up trying to figure out why a problem
> happens in one of their 3.5.0 projects and not the other.  Regressions can
> also happen, so new problems can surface on a newer project which I think
> is equally confusing.

To Mark's point, how are platforms different from plugins? Right now CLI
pulls latest plugin versions by default, so how do you deal with that re:
predictability?

> To be clear, I love idea of being able to pull newer versions of a
> platform and I definitely would love to see fixes be released faster.
>  However, I not see that 3.5.0-0.2.6 was allowing you to do "platform add
> android@3.5.1"?

Hmm, "platform add android@3.5.0" works fine using CLI@master. @3.5.1
wouldn't work because there is no 3.5.1 yet.