On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 5:41 AM, Gorkem Ercan <gorkem.er...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This has been discussed long enough and even for those downstream
> distros and tools who will have to adjust, it is better to finalize it.
>
> Overall I like the plan, my major concern was with cadence releaeses gone,
> the lack of a
> name/tag/version number for Cordova, and a description of its contents.
> Now, this is
> addressed with CLI and package.json file.
>
> My +1 for this.
>

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 05:25:28PM -0400, Andrew Grieve wrote:
> > Wanted to start a thread for everyone to share what concrete changes
> they'd
> > like to see happen before we start having platforms being released in an
> > unsynchronized fashion.
> >
> > I'll start :)
> >
> > cordova-js:
> >  - cordova.version returns a value computed from the cordova-js git tag.
> >    - Let's deprecate this field
> >    - And create "cordova.platformVersion"
> >    - And update our release process to have the version set based on the
> > platform's version rather than the tag within cordova-js.
>
> What will be the value for cordova.version during deprecation period?
>

> > Cordova-docs:
> >  - Most of the docs are not actually affected by platform versions.
> >  - Mainly though, it's the platform guides that are.
> >  - Two options that I see:
> >    - 1) Set default version to "edge" & always annotate with "added in
> > X.X.X, removed in X.X.X"
> >    - 2) Move guides to live in platform repos and link to them from docs.
> >
> > cordova-cli:
> >   - Set version to 4.0.0 just to make it so that it doesn't map to any
> > existing platform versions
>
> Not sure if this matters. Platforms will catch up to 4.0.0 soon enough.

CLI version is currently "3.5.0-0.2.7-dev".  We need to change it to
something thats valid semver, and preferably somewhat compatible with the
previous versions.  Choices I think are:
- 3.6.0
- 4.0.0
- A Complete reset

I'm also in favour of 4.0.0 given those options.

I am mildly concerned that with the looming 4.0 releases of platforms,
users will think this is a cad-ver update and not appreciate the change of
strategy, but partially think that may be a good thing too (slow
comfortable transition).