On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Treggiari, Leo <leo.treggi...@intel.com>
wrote:

>  Hi Michal,
>

> Thanks for your answers.  They were quite helpful.  I have a few
> follow-ups.
>

> With your answers, and references, and I found
> https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/ConfigurationFiles,
>
> I have a better understanding of the existing metadata files.
>

> However there seem to be quite a few of them  and I’m not yet sure about
> where different types of information should go.
>

> https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/ConfigurationFiles goes into the answers
> I’m looking for, except it just seems to be documenting the current
> situation.
>
> -  What types of metadata are there?
>
> -  Where is each type saved?
>
> -  Who owns each type and can change it?

I think we are figuring this out ourselves.  There are differing opinions.
 Thanks for speaking up and voicing yours.

> Here are my thoughts:
>

> - “App” (or “Project”) metadata defines everything about the “app” that
> should be shared by all developers who want to develop/build the app.  In
> the case of Cordova CLI, this is primarily a “build recipe”.  I.e. with
> this metadata (plus given proper “workspace” (or “environment”) setup),
> anyone can build the same app.  Tooling (e.g. Cordova CLI) or IDEs would
> normally be used to maintain some/all of this metadata.  For example,
> Cordova CLI may handle the plugins and platforms but document how to add
> icons and splash screens to the app using this metadata file.  An IDE might
> manage all of that inside the IDE itself.  The newly proposed metadata for
> specifying project directory structure would be part of this metadata.

Personally, this is exactly my mental model as well.  But its

> - “Workspace” (or “Environment” or “Project specific user settings”)
> metadata describe the settings that a user (or tools on the user’s behalf)
> have to make to set up an environment for developing/building the app.
> E.g. the location of native SDKs.

Ditto.

> In general, different tooling/IDEs could have different rules regarding
> who creates these metadata files and who is allowed to edit them and how.
>

> Is app config.xml intended to be the “App” metadata file?

Yes.  Though it should be noted that most everyone would rather there was a
different file for this.

config.xml is based on a deprecated proposal for app metadata (widget
spec).  There are several new app manifest formats roaming around, most
based on json.  However, I think we will likely use what we already have
for the foreseeable future since we're already spending way too much time
on tooling and changing this is not worthwhile bang-for-buck.

>  Is .cordova/config.json intended to be the “Workspace” metadata file?

I think so.  I'm less sure about how everyone feels about this file, but
its likely that we will stick with what we have.  Its also possible that
IDE's/downstream tooling can just use some internal settings representation
since most the the config.json values can be passed in to the CLI through
the command line or node interface.

> > - Aside from the initial create script that sets name etc, the
>
> > plugin/platform save command is the first tooling command to edit the
> file
>
> > directly (I think?).
>

> I don’t understand why ‘cordova plugin/platform add/remove’ would not
> modify app config.xml, but now ‘cordova plugin/platform save’ would.  Or is
> that really the distinction between the 2?  And how does that list of
> plugins interact with what the user may have added themselves to config.xml?

I think this was Andrew's point and Gorkems original intention.  We agree
that `plugin add/remove` should update the list.  The save/restore was just
a non-intrusive way to experiment for now.

> Thanks,

All good questions raised, with few definitive answers.  It sounds like
you're all caught up to the rest of us, though!