Yeah I guess what I'm getting at is it is more of an app descriptor. It
describes things about the app that are immutable across the native underlying
projects used to build the app, different IDEs, or project structures. If there
was a way to import and export Cordova apps across any number of IDEs or
products and services (PhoneGap Build, WorkLight, Intel, Telerik, etc) there
are a set of things about the app that wouldn't change. A transformed version
of config.xml lands in underlying native projects in the platforms folder as
well.

Another example, lets say that Gulp becomes the build system instead of the CLI
(not saying that will happen - just jumping to an extreme). We need a place to
keep the things that would not change.

Speaking for VS, I would never put typescript compilation settings, build
configs, and other IDE settings that pertain to the app project in config.xml.
That's specific to the VS world and belongs in the VS project. Similarly I
would not force a project structure on another IDE let alone someone hand
editing config.xml in sublime text. Most likely will not change from the CLI
structure anyway.

Now, how that is presented to the developer is a completely different story.

Whether config.xml is the right long term place for what I describe is another
topic entirely.  It's pretty engrained. I do think it will be important to
easily separate the concepts, however.

On the other questions - hop on that thread. I didn't make the PR so I can only
speak to the code verses the exact intent. :) The issue is that there is no
single definitive list of plugins or platforms to install today (plugins pull
in dependencies for specific platforms so the contents of the plugins folder is
actually not the definitive list).  That's what it was trying to fix.