I guess I can see the value of providing a safety option for "pause my
app in the background", but in general I think it's better practice to
not pause forcefully, and instead have apps listen to the "pause"
event, and stop battery-draining activity there instead. So... let's
keep the option in, and keep it off by default.

Joe / Tommy - not sure from your comments as to whether they were
directed at the idea of removing the option completely, or to the
patch I sent that gets rid of unconditionally pausing timers during
startActivityForResult flows. Really can't see why you'd want that,
and I think it would just cause subtle bugs.