No strong opinion, but I'm leaning with Michael.  Have there been examples
of nested dependency version mismatches actually biting us that we are
insistent on shrinkwrap?

For the record, last time I looked into this, npm commands were a bit
limited when it comes to easily managing dependency updates in
package.json.  However, theres an open call for PR to add npm upgrade:
https://github.com/npm/npm/issues/4471

-Michal