Thanks for the detailed response Michal. With your permission, I¹d like to
reprint this on my blog.

I will point out however that there was at least one time when the
directory structure change broke something. I forget which version it was
but at some point the CLI stopped making a .cordova folder and that broke
Ripple. Not really a big deal, just FYI. ;)