That's really exciting, Joe! I can't wait to take a look.

On Wed Nov 26 2014 at 7:09:04 PM Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey
>
> Just an update, I have a working PoC of the GeckoView-based WebView ready
> for people to look at here:
>
> https://github.com/infil00p/cordova-mozillaview-engine
>
> This is definitely a very different webview than what we have had
> currently, and I've had to re-think a lot of how we do things with Cordova
> because of it.  The asynchronous bridge that uses promises is very
> interesting on GeckoView, as well as how this is properly sandboxed.  I
> like it a lot better than how Chrome based web-views are currently working
> with just bolting on an synchronous object.  However, due to time, and
> because I didn't want to repaint the bike shed again, I kept the basic
> bridge architecture mostly intact.

I hate to bikeshed, too, but if I could repaint the bridge
promise-coloured, I'd do it in a minute :)

> At any rate, from the initial tests, the bridge works and the plugins are
> mostly intact.  I override the exec with clobbers, and while I haven't run
> Mobile-Spec against the plugin version, the fact that it fires tells me
> that the clobbers probably will work.
>
> I am really worried about the Splashscreen and how we show and hide the
> webviews, since this was found to be very brittle when I started to work on
> this.  We should consider having more proper refactoring of Cordova.

Definitely. I need to take a look at Andrew's recent refactoring of
Splashscreen (from just last week); hopefully he's pulled out all of the
nasty bits. I'm pretty sure it was just targeted for 4.0, so hopefully we
can make it work with GeckoView (and Crosswalk, too)

> At this point, now that we have two webviews, I think we should ramp up for
> a 4.0 final release in January 2015. I don't want to do it now because I
> can see people getting pissed off that we released 4.0 and then go on
> vacation.  That said, I'm glad that this exists, since it feels like we're
> finally at the finish line with this feature.

That sounds good -- I was hoping to get it out by the end of the year, but
I'd be pretty happy just having it in an imminently releasable state if
that's the best we can get to.