I think the proposal is great. Our gradle is pretty big, and it does make sense
to just do the defaults.
+1 (personally speaking) to this – will save soo much of my time as I depend on
this for my react-native-cordova-plugin adapter. Your changes will make life so
much easier ☺

How do the plugins break? Will plugins have to make change? In a way, it may
make sense to do this with big changes at Google I/O – that way, we just have 1
breaking change, and plugin authors have to look at the changes just once.