I've done with my review with all the issues that need to resolved
with the plugin before it can be baked in to the platform for a major
version release. I'm going to discuss issues with respect to migration
of developers from UIWebView (features that will be lost or are
different)

1. Cookies don't persist. This is a WebKit bug, but someone has
created a plugin for a workaround. See
2. Can't delete cookies. This is/was a WebKit bug (2015), need to test
for the iOS 11/12. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-11297
3. Can't execute JavaScript code in the background. There are several
issues related to this. See
4. XmlHttpRequests don't work, because of Cross-Origin Resource
Sharing issue (CORS). There is a workaround plugin created by Oracle
(UPL licensed, which is Apache-2.0 compatible). See
5. Migration of localStorage from UIWebView. There is a migration
plugin available. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-11974

Of course there are several bugs also that need to be resolved. List
here: https://s.apache.org/QfsF

Out of the 5 issues, 3 (external) plugins are available for the
issues, 2 require minor code changes.

For a solution to issue 5, I am proposing a proxy webview engine
plugin that will:
1. Read a preference to use a particular webview engine
2. Proxy the selected webview engine's interface from its interface

This proxy will possibly help with migration and testing, so users can
"beta test" WKWebView now for existing apps (and switch back if there
are problems). This is like a "feature flag" that I mentioned before,
but at runtime, for users.

This proxy webview engine plugin can also possibly help with
InAppBrowser, I'm not sure (since that plugin has more hooks into a
webview's interface).