Realistically, if they created an issue more than 6 months ago and nobody
looked at it in that time, they wouldn't bother to recreate. So we would
lose ~1700 issues.

I agree with Raphael, if options are bulk close and ask for migration or
keep them open, I vote for keeping them open.

If somebody creates a new issue that is already in JIRA and we notice it,
we can close the JIRA one as duplicate of the github one. (it has already
happened in at least one issue that I have noticed)