While true... I'd prefer not to block the release on this alone.

The restriction won't really be on cordova-android itself but rather the API level and the webview version running on the device. cordova-android@6 obviously supports really old API levels that even predates chromium webviews.

With that being said, we don't need bump to the latest cordova-android either. Even though modern webview has a minimum API level of 24.. API 21-23 devices still has access up to around webview chrome 70 which has a good support for ES6 features. Their factory versions however might have compatibility issues. An API 24 AOSP emulator ships with Chrome 53 for its webview for context.

Reason why I'd prefer not to block the release on this alone is because this is still a major version bump, and it isn't necessary breaking to even more recent cordova-android (e.g. v10 or 11). Perhaps we can note the intent in the blog and fix the engine declaration in a patch release?

On 2023-09-16 2:17 p.m., julio cesar sanchez wrote:
I’ve read the blog post and it mentions “The JavaScript of the plugin has
been upgraded to use ES6 features, such as `let` and `const`.”.
But the plugin engines still support cordova-android 6+.
Should we bump the engines to require latest cordova-android? Those new ES6
features won’t work on those old cordova-android versions.

El El sáb, 16 sept 2023 a las 14:22, Norman Breau <nor...@nbsolutions.ca>