On May 14, 2009, at 11:35 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Brian Candler <b.cand...@pobox.com> wrote:
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 06:58:47PM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
Sorry for responding to my original message instead of a reply in the
thread, but I seem to be having some issues with the mailing list.
Oliver, you are right, I could use a javascript wrapper for flash. The
problem with that is that it introduces a second dependency to
interact with the REST interface.

It adds a second API and complexity to CouchDB to support
non-standard clients. I.e: If you don't speak HTTP, you can't
talk to CouchDB.

I think you'll find this is extremely common; many clients especially don't
implement DELETE.

The way Rails deals with it is to allow a form POST to have a _method field,
and if it's present, it takes precedence over the HTTP method.

actionpack/lib/action_view/helpers/url_helper.rb:
method_tag = tag('input', :type => 'hidden', :name => '_method', :value => method.to_s)

Of course, CouchDB doesn't take a application/x-www-form- urlencoded, it takes an application/json body. So I think the nearest equivalent would be to allow a "_method" member in the JSON body and honour it for all POST requests [with JSON bodies]. Conveniently, CouchDB has already reserved all
top-level keys beginning with underscores for its own purposes.

Regards,

Brian.

Eww. I'm all for supporting clients that have a brain dead HTTP
interface, but piggybacking protocol information into the payload
seems like not a good idea. If we're going to allow method overrides
I'd vote +10 internets for the header version.

I'm with Paul here.  So that's +20 internets.

But until someone shows me something that can't be accomplished using
the _bulk_docs API I'd be -0 on supporting the header even.

Hmm, I don't know about this one. If Mikael is right and X-HTTP- Method-Override is becoming a de facto standard, I think supporting that would be preferable to playing up our non-RESTful _bulk_docs hacks.

Adam