On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 04:35, Mikeal Rogers <mikeal.rog...@gmail.com>wrote:

> After some conversations I've had in NYC this week and Mathias' great post
> on the 10 biggest issues with CouchDB (
> http://www.paperplanes.de/2010/7/26/10_annoying_things_about_couchdb.html)
> I wanted to formally propose some changes to the view server/protocol.

Something I would like to see is a way for an _update function, or some
similar function, to handle success vs. collision results when producing a
doc.

An _update function should be able to compute the resulting doc _id based on
the provided input. This is especially useful for directly processing HTML
form input.

Unfortunately, the _update function has no way of knowing if that id is
taken already. It blindly passes the document back to Erlang which might
return a (IIRC) 201, or might return 409.

I do not know what the best solution is but I wouldn't be surprised if it
required a protocol change.

--
Jason Smith
Couchio Hosting