This is a great discussion and I want it to keep going. But I'm going to try
to lay out how I plan to move forward and hopefully this will help in the
future.

I'm going to use autotools for building only the C pieces and not for
anything else. I want to be able to use this as a normal release/target
system afterwards installed like any other. So I don't want to use something
for placing config files or whatever. I know that won't mold well with the
normal CouchDB use-case but maybe its simple to do both... Or I'll realize
thats futile and do something with setting where configs live through
sys.config when its passed to erlexec...

Anyway, I'd hope my fork could be seen as a testbed of sorts. As I said, it
should be buildable with rebar as well.

Tristan