On Aug 16, 2011, at 8:20 PM, Randall Leeds wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 17:03, Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 16, 2011, at 5:46 PM, Randall Leeds wrote:
>>
>>> -1 on _skip_validation and new role
>>>
>>> One can always write a validation document that considers the role, no?
>> Why
>>> can't users who need this functionality craft a validation function for
>> this
>>> purpose? This sounds like a blog post and not a database feature.
>>
>> Blech, really?
>>
>> Q: What request do I issue to guarantee all my documents are stored in this
>> other database?
>>
>> A: Unpossible.
>>
>> Practically speaking we need it at Cloudant because we use replication to
>> move users' databases between clusters.  If it's not seen as generally
>> useful that's ok, just surprising.  Best,
>>

> I understand the motivation a little better now. I'm not sure it's generally
> useful. I think _dump/_load might be, but I'd rather see users craft around
> validation as part of their replication strategy rather than increase the
> query option population.
>
> I'm not sure I'm against admin user context bypassing validation docs,
> though.

That's interesting.  It sounds like you're motivated to minimize the surface
area of the API.  I can respect that.  I'm not sure I like _admins
automatically bypassing validation, though, because we already require _admin
to update _design docs, so it's not as if we can make the use of _admin
particularly rare.  Will think on it.  Best,

Adam