On 17 Aug 2011, at 11:06, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> Philosophy apart, dump and restore could be indeed useful to bootstrap
> db, make plain backup/restore strategies, exchange dbs over a disk/mem
> card without any couch installed etc.

Yep, but in my mind this should live outside CouchDB's HTTP API. A dump and
restore tool that lived on the command line, like the Subversion hotcopy stuff
is the first thing that springs to mind. Or PostgreSQL's pgdump tool, or
whatever. But as far as I understand the current file format, you should be
able to just rsync the .couch files while the database is running.