I am torn now.

If being able to tell from Git at what point a release branch was cut for a
vote (even if that vote failed) is important then I suggest we go with my
"vote/" and "release/" prefix idea, and that a release branch is tagged once
for the vote, and then a second time when it passes. Does anyone need to do
this? Is it important for anything? Is it worth the complexity and mess it
will cause for our tag namespace?

If this is not important, then I suggest we post commit hashes (or whatever
else is convenient for enabling people to duplicate the artefact, which is,
of course, the primary reason we do this) of the release branch at the point
it was cut for a vote to the mailing list. Once a vote passes, we tag this
commit without any prefix whatsoever. At the moment, I think I prefer this
option.

In both instances, I think we need to put together a short rationale (I
would do it, but my lack of Git knowledge would hamper my efforts to explain
it properly) and present it to the board for them to bless the idea. In
both scenarios above, we diverge from the Subversion procedure in a fairly
important way. As Jukka has mentioned, the source is traditionally not
modified following a successful vote.