On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> I would suggest something along the following lines:
>>
>> -
>>
>> Apache CouchDB 1.1.0 was tagged following a successful vote:
>>

>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201106.mbox/%3CBANLkTinLheqbrD_=zV0i1ShLEyaD8-L=4...@mail.gmail.com%3E
>>

> -1
>
> ----
>
> To summarize:
>  - It is of no interest to the task of distributing releases, but of immense
> interest to the community, how a tag came to pass.
>  - The primary record of consensus is discussion.
>  - The primary references of interest are therefore from discussion to
> artifact. Thus, the mailing archive references commits rather than vice
> versa.
>  - Noah just weighed in on the question of what back references to the
> consensus process archive are required to surface on the project git remote
> simultaneous with the fact of release. I voted -1 on his proposal.
>
> Instead, I propose an alternative scheme, borrowed from the linux kernel
> documentation at [1]:
>
>    "If a person has had the opportunity to comment on a patch, but
> has not <http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/SubmittingPatches#417>
>   provided such comments, you may optionally add a "Cc:" tag to the
> patch. <http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/SubmittingPatches#418>
>   This is the only tag which might be added without an explicit
> action by the
> <http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/SubmittingPatches#419>
>   person it names.  This tag documents that potentially interested
> parties <http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/SubmittingPatches#420>
>   have been included in the discussion"
>
> I read the word "opportunity" and "provided" as applying to our
> process as follows:
> - An individual on the mailing list who has cast a vote has had the
> "opportunity" to comment
> - An individual which has not published their own tag on apache
> infrastructure has not, for the purposes of a proper release,
> "provided" their comment.*
>
> Therefore, the release manager should tag and sign with "Cc: Community
> Voter <person@domain>" where person@domain is the email address in the
> archive which is associated with each message casting a vote.
> Upon successfully pushing a release tag, the release manager closes
> voting by replying to the vote thread with the typical notification of
> vote closure and a link to the signed release tag in the project
> remote, along with the archived email messages containing the votes,
> as in our current release procedure.*
>
> This thread is almost there :)
>
> Lastly, we should not allow any commits pushed to Apache
> infrastructure which are not signed off by committers. Looking at our
> nascent git history, we've already broken that, but we should
> discontinue this practice and probably enforce it via infrastructure

What do you mean? The infra hooks require that all commits are
committed (as opposed to authored) by one of the Apache CouchDB
committers. If that's not true then my infra hooks are busted and need
to be fixed ASAP.

On the other hand, if you mean that signed-off-by garbage in the
commit message, then I ask, "Why?". The committer that pushed the
commit to the ASF has already implicitly signed off on it.