Adding to this conversation, I found this set of slides by Chris explaining
the append-only index update format:
http://www.slideshare.net/jchrisa/btree-nosql-oak?from=embed

Specifically slides 16, 17 and 18.

Using this example tree, rewriting the updated path (in reverse order)
appended to the end of the file makes sense... you see how index queries
can simply read backwards from the end of the file and not only find the
latest revisions of docs, but also every other doc that wasn't touched (it
will just seek into the existing inner nodes of the b+ tree for searching).

What I am hoping for clarification on is the following pain-point that I
perceive with this approach:

1. In a sufficiently shallow B+ tree (like CouchDB), the paths themselves
to elements are short (typically no more than 3 to 5 levels deep) as
opposed to a trie or some other construct that would have much longer paths
to elements.

2. Because the depth of the tree is so shallow, the breadth of it becomes
large to compensate... more specifically, each internal node can have 100s,
1000s or more children. Using the example slides, consider the nodes
[A...M] and [R...Z] -- in a good sized CouchDB database, those internal
index nodes would have 100s (or more) elements in them pointing at deeper
internal nodes that themselves had thousands of elements; instead of the 13
or so as implied by [A...M].

3. Looking at slide 17 and 18, where you see the direct B+ tree path to the
update node getting appended to the end of the file after the revision is
written (leaf to root ordering: [J' M] -> [A M] -> [A Z]) it implies that
those internal nodes with *all* their child elements are getting rewritten
as well.

In this example tree, it is isn't such a big issue... but in a sufficiently
large CouchDB database, these nodes denoted by [A...M] and [A...Z] could be
quite large... I don't know the format of the node elements in the B+ tree,
but it would be whatever the size of a node is times however many elements
are contained at each level (1 for root, say 100 for level 2, 1000 for
level 3 and 10,000 for level 4 -- there is a lot of hand-waving going on
here, of course it depends on the size of the data store).

Am I missing something or is CouchDB really rewriting that much index
information between document revisions on every update?

What was previously confusing me is I thought it was *only* rewriting a
direct path to the updated revision, like [B]>[E]>[J'] and Couch was
some-how patching in that updated path info to the B+ index at runtime.

If couch is rewriting entire node paths with all their elements then I am
no longer confused about the B+ index updates, but am curious about the
on-disk cost of this.

In my own rough insertion testing, that would explain why I see my
collections absolutely explode in size until they are compacted (not using
bulk insert, but intentionally doing single inserts for a million(s) of
docs to see what kind of cost the index path duplication would be like).

Can anyone confirm/deny/correct this assessment? I want to make sure I am
on the right track understanding this.

Best wishes,
Riyad