I would prefer to see a single /_replicate entrypoint, with, say,
"persistent":true to indicate that the replication settings should be
stored. We would also need an API to list all persistent replication
tasks and one to delete them. Which would look a lot like the
_replicator database, though much more controlled (no public passwords
for those jobs that require auth).

I think it's too late, though. There's work on master to fix the
issues with _replicator now (and the similar ones in _user). While I
don't like the approach, it does solve the problem.

Bottom line: It's my opinion that _replicator (and _user) were wrongly
exposed as full-blooded databases when all  we needed to use was the
database format (and carefully curate API endpoints). But, alas, that
train has sailed.

B.