On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Jan Lehnardt <j...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2013, at 16:05 , Jan Lehnardt <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 2, 2013, at 16:01 , ASF IRC Services <asf...@wilderness.apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Members present: djc, deathbear, nslater, JasonSmith, garren, benoitc, dch,
>>> jan____, strmpnk
>>>
>>> ----------------
>>> Meeting summary:
>>> ----------------
>>>
>>> 1. Preface
>>>
>>> 2. Fauxton deploy for 1.5
>>> a. garren and deathbear to prepare compiled Fauxton in _utils/next (garren,
>>> 2)
>>>
>>> 3. plugins 1.5
>>>
>>> 4. node view server
>>>
>>> 5. Couchdb Conf Vancouver
>>> a. everyone tell everyone about http://conf.couchdb.org (jan____, 5)
>>> b. put a banner on the website for couchdb conf (nslater, 5)
>>> c. jan____ has spoken to Yuriy about the banner (nslater, 5)
>>>

>>> --------
>>> Actions:
>>> --------
>>> - garren and deathbear to prepare compiled Fauxton in _utils/next (garren,
>>> 13:27:15)
>>> - everyone tell everyone about http://conf.couchdb.org (jan____, 13:56:22)
>>> - put a banner on the website for couchdb conf (nslater, 13:59:29)
>>
>> missed this one in the meeting:
>> - jan to report on plugins state before the end of the day
>
> And here we go:
>
> I think it is still a bit raw, especially my idea of having users install
> plugins with one click. It all works and the hooks we have in CouchDB do all
> what they are supposed to, but I’d not feel right to start advertising that
> CouchDB has plugins now.
>
> However, I’d like to get at least the mechanics out, so we and outside devs
> get to play with it. I know at least two that are going to be using this and
> I am sure we can make a nice install procedure for GeoCouch that isn’t the
> current custom compilation. I think that is already a win and worth shipping.
>
> What I did on the branch for now is not link the plugin pages from Futon and
> Fauxton, so we don’t confuse users. But the pages are still there for people
> to play with and to hack around.
>
> The main code changes are:
>
> - addition of src/couch_plugins that doesn’t interfere with anything.
> - addition of loading config files as part of bin/couchdb.tpl.in that’s a NOP
> in the default case.
> - addition of a Futon and a Fauxton page to install plugins with one click,
> not linked to from anywhere yet.
>
> I say this is un-intrusive enough to let us get out into the field without
> much risk.
>
> How does everyone feel about getting this in?

I think that it is wise decision. This will give developers some time
till 1.6 release to update their extensions to use the plugins api and
provide any feedback about. In case of success even one this feature
will make 1.6 release awesome both for users and developers.