On 10 November 2013 22:02, Andy Wenk <andyw...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> some days ago (before asking you) I have uploaded a zip file with .po and
> .mo files. The result was the structure with all files and folders as
> needed. I startet to translate just a minimal bit. Then, after the
> conversation with you, I just uploaded a zip archive with only .pot files
> and fired "update against templates". And everything is still fine.

try to make a change in the .pot files, upload and update, then you should
see that the corresponding .po files are  not changes.

> You mentioned it can be a bit tricky to do the initial upload. What could
> go wrong then? I have the feeling, everything is fine but don't want to
> miss any possible problems.

When you go into the administration menu, you can see that not everything
is fine, you dont have the option to update german/russian against
templates.

Please remember the .pot files contain what you extract from your source
(typically en-US), the have the same format as .po files but the msgstr is
empty only msgid is used.

They go into a subdirectory "templates" , and with that you can update the
.po directories (in your case german/russian) with the function "update
against templates"

I just checked on the vm and there are no .pot files available (or template
directory). As I mentioned pootle is a little tricky about the template
directory, and because you already have create de and ru, I assume it will
not create the template dir.

Zip the .pot files and send the to me directly, then I will upload them in
a day or two.

rgds
jan I.

> See also the screenshot attached.
>
> Thanks for a short reply.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy
>

> On 9 November 2013 20:53, Andy Wenk <andyw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> a huge thanks for your reply and all the insights. This already helps
>> very very much. I now need to find some time to see how we proceed here. We
>> need to integrate the creation and extraction of the .pot and .po files. I
>> did that already manually but it should be done automatically in the build
>> scripts. I would like to come back to you when things are even clearer.
>>
>> Thanks again very much!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> On 9 November 2013 11:55, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Andy.
>>>
>>> thanks for your mail, I have added infra@ since others might also want
>>> to read the answers.

>>> The tools I have made is a set of C++ classes with a main, that extract
>>> the original (typical en-US) messages from from source files and generates
>>> template files (.pot). The tool is made is made so that it is very simple
>>> to add new source type (e.g. .java).
>>>
>>> If you use Sphinx that is a good alternative.

>>> There are no api, you do it via the UI.

>>> I am one of those folks (actually, probably one of two that knows most
>>> about this process) :-)
>>>
>>> Let me first shortly present the normal work pattern, and then show how
>>> you can get started:
>>>
>>> The normal workflow are (please see some of the things as being able to
>>> happen in parallel)
>>>
>>> 1) Write source that contain new/changes en-US messages
>>> 2) extract messages from source files to 1 or more template files (many
>>> projects prefer to group the template files after function, e.g.
>>> help/ui/errors, but you can also have a 1-1 with source files).
>>> 3) Upload changed .pot files (template files, same format as .po just
>>> another name) to pootle using the UI.
>>> 4) Run "update languages against templates" in the UI. This will do the
>>> following:
>>> a) Add new messages to all language files (for each .pot file, you have
>>> 1 .po file pr language), leaving translation empty
>>> b) Mark changes messages as "fuzzy" so the translations can be corrected.
>>> 5) Let translators do their magic online (remark translators can be but
>>> need not be committers)
>>> 6) Run "sync database to po files"
>>> 7) Download po files (as zip) using th UI
>>> 8) Merge  po files into the source, as pr your code requirement (in AOO,
>>> the source files is expanded with all languages, so users can switch
>>> online).
>>> 9) Compile and test.
>>>
>>> In order to bootstrap your project, you need to:
>>> 1) define the languages you want to have (UI)
>>> 2) Upload the first set of templates (its a bit tricky, I can do that
>>> for you if you mail me a zip file)
>>> 3) Upload any translatations you may already have