I am on-record as supportive of npm's needs here but still skeptical or at
least unclear on the fix.

Pain points:

1. Replicating the registry can have problems. Best-case scenario you have
to download 100GB of data (and growing exponentially)

2. Bandwidth costs of the primary service

Both problems are aggravated by the need for legacy support. CouchDB 1.5
has replication fixes but it is still new. And the npm clients will want to
fetch attachments from the couch server even after a newer CDN-using one
comes out.

I am conflicted. I agree with the point that you shouldn't have to
replicate 100GB (and growing) data just to have a local npm web service.
But I don't want to modify replication or the HTTP lightly.