"replicate 100GB (and growing) data just to have a local npm web service."

This makes no sense to me. Of course you have to have a local copy of
all the things to have a "local npm web service". Are we talking about
partial mirroring instead then? If so, filtered replication has you
covered, right? If you just want a local mirror of the things you use,
then pull through a caching proxy (squid3 is nice).

B.